2013 SkS Weekly Digest #11
Posted on 17 March 2013 by John Hartz
If you liked "Gunfight at the OK Corral", you'll like the comment thread to Watts Interview – Denial and Reality Mix like Oil and Water, text by Dana and graphics by John Cook.
If you like eye-popping graphics, February 2013 Arctic Sea Ice Death Spiral Update, text by Dana and graphics by Andy Lee Robinson, is for you.
If you like your science straight-up, Drost, Karoly, and Braganza Find Human Fingerprints in Global Warming by Dana is the place to go.
Toon of the Week
Quote of the Week
"I don't think it's OK to walk past a mugging on the way to pay the mortgage. Climate scientists need to be good citizens too. Our science tells us we are killing people in poor parts of the world by putting our lights on and we need to make people think about that. Scientists need to start standing up for what they believe in. By staying quiet we are legitimizing it." -- Kevin Anderson of the Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research at the University of Manchester, UK
Are we heading for 6° temperature rise? by Liz Kalaugher, Environmental Research Web, Feb 6, 2013
The Week in Review
- February 2013 Arctic Sea Ice Death Spiral Update by Dana & Andy Lee Robinson (graphics)
- 2013 SkS Weekly News Roundup #11 by John Hartz
- Death in Jurassic Park: global warming and ocean anoxia by John Mason
- Watts Interview – Denial and Reality Mix like Oil and Water by Dana & John Cook (graphiocs)
- State Department Downplays the Climate Impact of Keystone XL by Dana
- 2013 SkS News Bulletin #3: Alberta Tar Sands and Keystone XL Pipeline by John Hartz
- Does Norway lack political commitment to renewables? by GWS
- Drost, Karoly, and Braganza Find Human Fingerprints in Global Warming by Dana
- Skeptical Science launches PDF by Doug Bostrom
- New Study, Same Result - Greenhouse Gases Dominate Global Warming (Dana)
- The ^ New! Abridged Skeptical Science Quick Reference Guide (Daniel Bailey)
- The Fool's Gold of Current Climate (Dana)
- To frack or not to frack? (gws)
- Tung and Zhou circularly blame ~40% of global warming on regional warming (Dumb Scientist)
- 2013 SkS News Roundup (John Hartz)
In the Works
- Klotzbach Revisited and John Christy's response, part 1 (JosHag)
- Klotzbach Revisited and John Christy's response, part 2 (JosHag)
- The radiative role of clouds – which ones warm and which ones cool the Earth (jenikhollan)
- A tale told in maps and charts: Texas in the National Climate Assessment (Dana)
- New satellite confirms dramatic thinning of Arctic ice (MarkR)
- Lomborg's Irresponsible Conclusions (Agnostic)
- It’s getting hotter – despite cooling from cosmic rays (John Cook)
SkS in the News
Mary Ellen Harte at Huffington Post used Andy Lee Robinson's Arctic sea ice cubes graphic and referenced Dana's Cherrypicking to Deny Continued Ocean and Global Warming.
Weather.com used several SkS rebuttals to debunk 10 common climate myths.
Green Lifestyle Magazine endorsed the SkS smartphone app.
Daily Kos also discussed the SkS contribution to the Reality Drop project.
Climate Wars used an SkS graphic to show John McLean's terrible climate prediction failure.
uknowispeaksense referenced the SkS rebuttals database.
The purpose of the Green Climate Fund is to make a significant and ambitious contribution to the global efforts towards attaining the goals set by the international community to combat climate change.
The Fund will contribute to the achievement of the ultimate objective of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC). In the context of sustainable development, the Fund will promote the paradigm shift towards low-emission and climate-resilient development pathways by providing support to developing countries to limit or reduce their greenhouse gas emissions and to adapt to the impacts of climate change, taking into account the needs of those developing countries particularly vulnerable to the adverse effects of climate change.