2013 SkS Weekly Digest #26
Posted on 30 June 2013 by John Hartz
Dana's Media Overlooking 90% of Global Warming and President Obama acts on climate change by enforcing the law garnered the most comments of articles posted this past week. Rob Painting's A Looming Climate Shift: Will Ocean Heat Come Back to Haunt us? received the third highest number of comments.
Toon of the Week
H/T to Joe Romm's Climate Progress blog.
Quote of the Week
Obama had tough words for those who would deny that climate change is a problem. "I am willing to work with anybody…to combat this threat on behalf of our kids," he said. "But I don't have much patience for anybody who argues the problem is not real. We don't have time for a meeting of the Flat-Earth Society."
Obama: "We Don't Have Time for a Meeting of the Flat-Earth Society" by Kate Shepard, Mother Jones, June 25, 2013
SkS Week in Review
- 2013 SkS Weekly News Roundup #26B by John Hartz
- The Climate Show #34: four Hiroshima bombs a second by Gareth
- Agnotology, Climastrology, and Replicability Examined in a New Study by Dana
- BC’s revenue-neutral carbon tax experiment, four years on: It’s working by Andy Skuce
- 2013 SkS Weekly News Roundup #26A by John Hartz
- President Obama acts on climate change by enforcing the law by Dana
- Media Overlooking 90% of Global Warming by Dana
- A Looming Climate Shift: Will Ocean Heat Come Back to Haunt us? by Rob Painting
Coming Soon on SkS
- 4 Hiroshima bombs worth of heat per second (John Cook & Dana)
- 2013 SkS News Roundup #27A (John Hartz
- Weathering of rocks: guide to a long-term carbon-sink (John Mason)
- Climate change science: what’s in a name? (gpwayne)
- Two Expert — and Diverging — Views on Arctic’s Impact on Weather ‘Whiplash’ (greenman)
- Update on GISP-2 temperature record(Alexander Ac)/li>
- 2013 SkS News Roundup #27B (John Hartz)
In the Works
- A tale told in maps and charts: Texas in the National Climate Assessment (Dana)
- On the power point presentation by John Christy (Klaus Flemloese)
- How did Ancient Coral Survive in a High CO2 World? (Rob Painting)
- 282 years of global warming in one graph (keithpickering)
SkS in the News
John Cook's talk on the rate of global heat accumulation at 4 Hiroshima atomic bomb detonations per second was featured by The Economic Times, The Malay Mail, Business Week Mindanao, The Sydney Morning Herald, The Times of India, The National News Agency of Malaysia, New Straits Times, Inter Acksyon, Eco News, Progressive Radio Network, and Infolikes. More on this story at SkS tomorrow.
Friends of the Earth International: We are the world's largest grassroots environmental network, uniting 74 national member groups and some 5,000 local activist groups on every continent. With over 2 million members and supporters around the world, we campaign on today's most urgent environmental and social issues. We challenge the current model of economic and corporate globalization, and promote solutions that will help to create environmentally sustainable and socially just societies.