2013 SkS Weekly Digest #37
Posted on 15 September 2013 by John Hartz
Global Warming's Missing Heat: Look Back In Anger (and considerable disbelief) by gpwayne attracted the most comments of the articles posted on SkS during the past week. Dana's Debunking 97% Climate Consensus Denial drew the second highest number of comments.
Toon of the Week
h/t to I Heart Climate Scientists
Quote of the Week
"At this point, 70 to 75 percent of Americans understand that global warming is very real, and the need to do something about it," (Bill) McKibben said. "The trick at this point is not to convert the other 25 percent. The fight is to get those who do know what's going on as active and engaged as possible."
Author warns about climate change at CA conference AP/San Francisco Chronicle, Sep 14, 2013
SkS Week in Review
- 2013 SkS Weekly News Roundup #37B by John Hartz
- Arctic sea ice delusions strike the Mail on Sunday and Telegraph by Dana
- Global Warming’s Missing Heat: Look Back In Anger (and considerable disbelief)… by gpwayne
- Global imprint of climate change on marine life by John Bruno
- 2013 SkS Weekly News Roundup #37A by John Hartz
- Arctic sea-ice 'growth', a manufactured IPCC 'crisis' and more: David Rose is at it again by John Mason
- Debunking 97% Climate Consensus Denial by Dana
Coming Soon on SkS
- What is causing global warming? Look for the fingerprints (John Abraham)
- Why trust climate models? It’s a matter of simple science (Scott K Johnson)
- 2013 SkS Weekly News Roundup #38A (John Hartz)
- The 5 stages of climate denial are on display ahead of the IPCC report (Dana)
- Moncking up the Numbers (Rob Honeycutt)
- The 2012 State of the Climate is easily misunderstood (MarkR)
- 2013 SkS Weekly News Roundup #38B (John Hartz)
In the Works
- How did Ancient Coral Survive in a High CO2 World? (Rob Painting)
- Why Atmospheric CO2 matters: The Really Big Picture (Chris Colose)
SkS in the News
Greg Laden made use of some SkS graphics in debunking climate denial from CNBC's Joe Kernen.
Established in 1995, the National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis (NCEAS) is a research center of the University of California, Santa Barbara and was the first national synthesis center of its kind.
There is broad acknowledgement that NCEAS has significantly altered the way ecological science is conducted, towards being more collaborative, open, integrative, relevant, and technologically informed. Different from the scientific tradition of solitary lab or fieldwork, NCEAS fosters collaborative synthesis research – assembling interdisciplinary teams to distill existing data, ideas, theories, or methods drawn from many sources, across multiple fields of inquiry, to accelerate the generation of new scientific knowledge at a broad scale.
NCEAS has helped create a large community of scientists from multiple disciplines, eager to collaborate to answer some of the toughest environmental questions facing society. Through collective Working Group projects scientists share data and methods, synthesize vast amounts of information, and discover new insights and understanding to improve lives and the environment. Some examples of the Center’s research include:
- Environmental Science Benefiting Human Livelihoods
- Ecological Effects of Climate Change
- Ecology of Infectious Disease
- Marine Ecology and Conservation
- Economics and Ecology