2012 SkS Weekly Digest #1
Posted on 9 January 2012 by John Hartz
Issue of the Week
The SkS author team is evaluating whether or not to make changes to the current Comments Policy. From your perspecive, how would you rate the current policy and its application by SkS moderators? What changes do you believe should be made to either the policy and/or its application?
SkS's most prolific author, Dana, posted two articles. The first, A Big Picture Look at Global Warming, provides lines of evidence showing that the planet is not only warming, but it's also warming at a rapid rate. Dana's second article, Skepticism About Lower Atmosphere Temperature Data, is a correction to an op-ed by James Taylor of the Heartland Institute that wwas recently posted on the Forbes magazine website. As one would expect, the guest post by Peter Gleick, The 2011 Climate B.S.* of the Year Awards, generated a good bit of commentary.
Toon of the Week
The Week in Review
A complete listing of the articles posted on SkS during the past week.
- 2011 Expected to be Second Warmest Year on Record for the UK by John Hartz
- Skepticism About Lower Atmosphere Temperature Data by Dana
- Global Warming: Trend and Variation by Tom Curtis
- The 2011 Climate B.S.* of the Year Awards by Peter Gleick
- A Big Picture Look at Global Warming by Dana
- Myth of the Mini Ice Age by Rob Honeycutt
- Quantifying Extreme Heat Events by Michael Sweet
A list of articles that are in the SkS pipeline. Most of these articles, but not necessarily all, will be posted during the week.
- 2011 Year in Review (Part 2) (MarkR)
- New research from last week 1/2012 (Ari Jokimäki)
- Lean and Rind Estimate Man-Made and Natural Global Warming (Dana)
- U.S. 2011: The Wet Get Wetter, the Dry Get Dryer (Tom Smerling)
- Climate Change Denial and the Media - Banishment of Science Reality (Brian Purdue)
- A Comprehensive Review of the Causes of Global Warming (Dana)
- Arctic Methane Outgassing on the East Siberian Shelf: Part 1 - the Background (John Mason)
- Glaciers have retreated worldwide (MarkR)
- RW Wood and the Greenhouse Effect (Eli Rabbett)
SkS in the News
Dana's article Skepticism is a Two Way Street was published by TreeHugger.
Yale Environment 360 is an online magazine offering opinion, analysis, reporting and debate on global environmental issues. It features original articles by scientists, journalists, environmentalists, academics, policy makers, and business people, as well as multimedia content and a daily digest of major environmental news.
Yale Environment 360 is published by the Yale School of Forestry & Environmental Studies and Yale University. It is funded in part by grants from the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation and the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation.