2012 SkS Weekly Digest #41
Posted on 15 October 2012 by John Hartz
Nuccitelli et al. (2012) Show that Global Warming Continues reports on a new paper in press at Physics Letters A by a team of Skeptical Science authors and oceanography expert John Church. The paper was produced by a collaborative international effort of an American (Dana Nuccitelli), a Canadian (Robert Way), a New Zealander (Rob Painting), and two Australians (John Cook and John Church).
Toon of the Week
What say you?
From your perspective, does the new Weekly News Round-Up series serve a useful purpose?
Quote of the Week
Donal McCarthy says that when compared to some global expenditures the $76bn price tag is a small price to pay.
"These are just a fraction of what we as consumers spend on soft drinks each year which is almost half a trillion dollars - the total required for species and sites is less than half of what is paid out in bonuses to bankers on Wall street's biggest investment banks," he explained.
Source: Scientists say billions required to meet conservation targets by Matt McGrath, BBC News, Oct 12, 2012
The Week in Review
- French translation of The Debunking Handbook by John Cook
- 2012 SkS Weekly News Round-Up #5 by John Hartz
- Most coral reefs are at risk unless climate change is drastically limited by John Hartz
- A comprehensive review of research into misinformation by John Cook
- Nuccitelli et al. (2012) Show that Global Warming Continues by Dana, Robert Way, Rob Painting & John Cook
- Jerry Mitrovica: Current Sea Level Rise is Anomalous. We've Seen Nothing Like it for the Last 10,000 Years by Rob Painting
- Lessons from Past Climate Predictions: Arctic Sea Ice Extent 2012 Update by Dana
- Update from Easton Glacier: Climate Crocks on Ice by Greenman3610
- New research from last week 40/2012 by Ari Jokimäki
- New research from last week 41/2012 (Ari Jokimäki)
- How Much of a Role Did the Arctic Storm Play in the Record Sea Ice Minimum? (Dana and Albatross)
- A workshop for educators on debunking misinformation (John Cook)
- The Future We All Want (Fabiano)
- Misleading Daily Mail Article Pre-Bunked by Nuccitelli et al. (2012) (Dana)
- Vanishing Arctic Sea Ice: Going Up the Down Escalator, 2012 Update (Dana)
- Salby's ratio (Tom Curtis)
- The Climate Show #29 (Gareth)
- 2012 SkS News Roundup #5 (John Hartz)
- Frost, Karoly, and Braganza Find Human Fingerprints in Global Warming (Dana)
- Fred Singer - not an American Thinker (John Abraham and Dana)
SkS in the News
Skeptical Science was featured as one of the 100 Global Sustain Ability Leaders by ABC Carbon.
Dana's Nuccitelli et al. (2012) Show that Global Warming Continues was re-posted at PlanetSave and Environmental Guru, and tweeted by Heidi Cullen and Carl Zimmer.
Dana's Nate Silver's Climate Chapter and What We Can Learn From It was re-posted at Climate Progress.
Several SkS rebuttals were featured in a post at The Way Things Break.
Interfaith Moral Action on Climate was formed at a meeting in Washington, D.C. on November 3, 2011. This meeting was attended by representatives of 30 predominantly religious and interfaith groups, many of which are our current endorsers. We came together as a collaborative initiative of religious leaders, groups and individuals in response to the pressing need for more visible, unified, prophetic action to address the climate crisis.
View this extensive list of Climate Change Statements from World Religions on the website of the Forum on Religion and Ecology at Yale.
An Interfaith Statement on Climate Change was submitted by representatives of religions around the world at the COP17 UN Conference on Climate Change, Durban, South Africa.